In honor of our newest chargers we added this week to our ever-expanding inventory, we want to help answer the question that many may be asking…what the heck is a charger and what is its purpose?…
Until they start planning a wedding, many people have never heard of a charger plate. Here is some information for you on chargers that is sure to answer every question you may have!
What is a Charger Plate?
A charger plate is a large, decorative base setting for which other dinnerware is placed on top of during formal occasions such as catered events, weddings, upscale parties, banquets, or in fine dining restaurants. Also known as service plates, under plates, or chop plates, charger plates are merely decorative, and are not meant to come in direct contact with food. Charger plates provide an elegant way to serve multiple course meals, where each course is served in its own separate bowl or plate, and placed on top of the charger.
Charger plates are available in a variety of colors, materials, lengths/diameters, and shapes for you to choose from to match the décor, mood, and style of your particular event. Chargers are used in multiple course meals as an elegant way to serve salad plates, soup bowls, and main dinner entrees in order to create unique presentations for guests.
Why Should I Use a Charger Plate?
Charger plates have many practical purposes, besides the fact that they provide elegance and enhance the table setting’s décor. Not only do they anchor the dining table, create ambiance, and are aesthetically pleasing to guests, chargers also protect the table and tablecloth from becoming dirty during service. Charger plates can catch pieces of food, and prevent spills and messes that would otherwise stain the tablecloth or flow onto the table. Chargers also help to retain the heat in dinnerware since they are placed directly underneath plates and bowls. If you are having an event where the food will be served buffet style, the chargers will also act as a placeholder for the plate. This ensures that your tables still look complete visually for guests and in photos.
How to Use Charger Plates
1. Choose a charger plate that will help complement the décor of your dining table, and add visual interest to your event’s overall feel. Take into consideration the type of plates, bowls, beverage glasses, flatware, serving platters, and linens you plan to use, and then choose a charger that will balance those styles. Don’t forget about the tablecloth, fabric overlays, floral arrangements, and centerpieces that will be placed directly beside the charger plates.
2. Place a charger at each guest’s corresponding place setting. Set it on top of the tablecloth or placemat, in between the arranged flatware, and below the beverage glasses. Chargers should be two feet from one another to give guests enough elbow room.
3. Align menu cards, napkins with napkin rings, or name cards in the middle of the charger plate for use before the dinner service.
4. When guests are ready to be served, soup bowls, salad plates, and dinner entrees are then placed directly on top of the charger.
Charger Plate Etiquette
Follow these specific etiquette rules when using charger plates at your upscale catered event, wedding, fine dining restaurant, or dinner party:
- Charger plates should be dressed and ready when guests arrive.
- Chargers are always removed from the table after all guests are finished eating the main entrée. Chargers should then be taken away with the dinner plate still on top, as this clears the table and leaves it ready for dessert to be served. Chargers are never used when serving dessert.
- Chargers can be removed once all guests are seated, or they may remain on the table throughout the entire length of the meal.
- Place charger plates one inch away from the bottom edge of the table to create perfect alignment.
- Never serve food directly on top of a charger plate, unless it is coated in a food-safe material.
Other Uses for Charger Plates
- Use charger plates as a tray or platter to pass around small appetizers or desserts, but make sure to place a doily or a linen napkin on top of the charger when coming in contact with food.
- Group pillar candles together to create an elegant centerpiece
- Set floral centerpieces on top of chargers to create a colorful base
Congratulations!! You can now call yourself a charger plate expert!
Now….Check Out our Newly Added Charger Styles!!
View all of our charger styles on our website at:
Charger information provided by www.webstrauntstore.com